Monday, 16 May 2011
Consultation on Cloud computing
The EU Commission has published an online survey on 'cloud computing'.
The online public consultation will run until the August 31st. Responses will feed into the preparation of a European cloud computing strategy that the Commission will present in 2012.
The survey seeks feedback on the following issues:
- data protection and liability questions, in particular in cross-border situations;
- other legal and technical barriers that can slow down the development of cloud computing in Europe;
- standardisation and interoperability solutions;
- uptake of cloud services, in particular by SMEs;
- ways to promote research and innovation in cloud computing.
The results of the consultation will feed into a European cloud computing strategy that the Commission will present in 2012. This strategy will aim to "clarify the legal conditions for the take-up of cloud computing in Europe, stimulate the development of a competitive European cloud industry and market, and facilitate the roll-out of innovative cloud computing services for citizens and businesses."